Personal Care for the Elderly
At The Live in Care Company, we always support our clients with home and personal care to keep their independence and dignity.
What is Personal Care?
Our highly skilled and qualified carers are available to assist with personal care, hygiene and grooming for the elderly such as bathing, dressing and toileting. Our carers are skilled and adaptable and are free to work directly with you to create a routine that suits you with a service that is tailored to your specific needs.
Personal care broadly relates to helping a person with their personal hygiene, dressing, toileting and maintaining personal appearance. It can also include eating – whether that is preparing meals or helping to feed a client.
Typically, a personal carer can:
- Assist with mobility – helping into and out of a bed or a chair
- Assist with bathing and showering (prompting, full assistance)
- Apply lotions and creams
- Help to dress in clean clothes
- Help to get ready for bed
- Help with oral hygiene, (Inc. appropriate care of dentures)
- Help to apply and remove make-up
- Assist with hair care; shaving, brushing
- Offer support with the use of toilet/commode facilities
- Change catheter bags
- Assist with convenes
- Change and dispose of incontinence pads
- Help with preventing and caring for those with bedsores
- Offer nutritional advice
- Help with foot care
- Help with eye care
- Offer clinical care (Some clinical care can be provided by carers for areas in which they are
trained in – such as medication administration, management of stomas/catheters and blood sugar monitoring and PEG feeding)