What is personal care for the elderly?
Our highly skilled and qualified carers are available to assist with all personal care need of elderly people, from hygiene and grooming, to bathing, dressing and toileting. Our carers are skilled and adaptable and work directly with you to create a routine that suits you with a service that is tailored to your specific needs.
Personal care for the elderly broadly relates to helping a person with their personal hygiene, dressing, toileting and maintaining personal appearance. It can also include eating – whether that is preparing meals, or helping to feed a client.
Typically, a personal carer for the elderly can:
- Assist with mobility – helping into and out of a bed or a chair
- Assist with bathing and showering (prompting, full assistance)
- Apply lotions and creams
- Help to dress in clean clothes
- Help to get ready for bed
- Help with oral hygiene, (such as appropriate care of dentures)
- Help with makeup and haircare
- Assist with shaving
- Offer support with any incontinence needs
- Offer nutritional advice
- Help with foot care and eye care
- Offer clinical care (Some clinical care can be provided by carers for areas in which they are
trained in – such as medication administration, management of stomas/catheters and blood sugar monitoring and PEG feeding)